Chillicothe’s Mural Program – Chillicothe, Missouri Come enjoy and see the local artists depiction of Chillicothe’s history on the downtown walls. As of July, 2006, there are 14 murals. There will be additions in 2007.
The Henrietta Mural: 711 Washington Street depicts a street scene circa 1890 on Locust Street, looking north. The scene will include The Henrietta, a hotel operating in that era. The mural, which measures 28-by-36-feet, is the 14th mural painted as part of Main Street. The mural was created by Artist Kelly Poling.
Home of Sliced Bread Mural: 709 N. Washington Street Chillicothe’s historical mural program and its sliced bread history now exists on the west side of the building housing The Clipper on Washington Street, north of the Livingston County Courthouse. Local artist Kelly Poling advises the mural measures 27 by 45 feet and depicts Locust Street as it looked around the turn of the century.
Brick Plant (Patek) Mural: 619 Elm Street This mural appears on the south side of the Livingston Co. TV and Appliance building and depicts the Midland Brick and Tile Company in Utica. Artist Kelly Poling also painted the mural which measures 25 feet by 100 feet.
CBC Mural: 710 Washington Street Chillicothe was home to the Chillicothe Business College from 1890 through the early 1950′s. The business college developed a campus on Chillicothe’s northwest side and offered a variety of professional and occupational training programs for a student body of over 1000. Graduates still fondly remember seeing ads from Missouri to California that told them the number of miles to CBC. The wall features a 30-by-70-foot mural of the college campus which is pictured in this section of the mural.
CBC Mural: 710 Washington Street (Part 2) This is the other section of the wall which features a 30-by-12-foot mural depicting the arch and bird fountain which was located in the college’s park area.
Graham’s Mill Mural: 504 Washington Street One of the earliest businesses in the Chillicothe vicinity, this mill ground and cracked grains for local needs in the 1860′s.
Transportation Mural: 708 Locust Street This mural portrays a scene from pre-World War I when a drawn streetcar was used to provide transit services for patrons of the Milwaukee Railroad. The Milwaukee Depot (torn down in 1977) is depicted in this mural.
Anderson Tire Mural: 801 Locust Street This mural is a rehabilitated "ghost sign" of an earlier building occupant. The large 2-story brick structure at the corner of Locust Street and Calhoun Street was previously the home of A. Lowenstein Mercantile Company, purveyors of wholesale candled eggs, wool, and other farm produce purchased from Livingston County farmers. Lowenstein began around 1890, and this sign dates from before 1935.
Railroad Mural: 724 Locust Street Chillicothe was a point of convergence for three railroads serving northern Missouri; the Burlington, the Wabash Railroad, and later the Milwaukee Road. This mural includes a scene of a steam engine traveling the local countryside in the last years of the 1890′s. Railroad company logos for the lines that served Chillicothe since 1857 are also depicted.
Fire Department Mural: 700 Second Street
The Chillicothe Fire Department mural features historic scenes from 1886 to the 1920′s.
Street Scene Mural: 108 Washington Street This mural depicts Webster Street on the North side of the square in downtown Chillicothe around 1916.
Citizens Bank & Trust Mural: Drive-Through at 517 Locust Street This mural depicts the newly remodeled lobby of Citizens Bank & Trust circa 1907. The mural was painted on a 18×23 wall by resident artist Kelly Poling.
Girl Scout Mural (Youth Mural): 327 Washington borders the east side of Beijing Restaurant’s parking lot. "Kids Throughout the Decades" was designed with help from four local girl scouts from Troop 119. It pictures from the area showing how children lived and played during the 1880s and 1930s.
Original Artworks by Kelly Mural: 443 Locust Street
This mural is in the former 500 block of Locust Street and depicts the “New York Store”. This Chillicothe mainstay was built in 1866, handling all of Chillicothe’s dry goods for many years.
Agriculture Mural: 718 North Washington depicting Livingston County’s agriculture history. Created by local artist Kelly Poling. Some of the images include an old covered wagon pulled by oxen with a log cabin above it. A barn with a hayloft, along with an old threshing machine and some straw are also incorporated. In the upper part of the mural is a windmill and plowed ground. Beyond that is an old, steel-wheeled tractor. The west side includes a drawing of a hay rake and stacker, just like the ones manufactured by the Jenkins Hay Rake & Stacker Co., which formerly operated in Chillicothe. Local artist, Scott Rule, created a small sketch of the mural, which Poling used as a reference for the final piece.
Robertson Motor: 415 Locust Street
The mural above the awning at Robertson Motor was painted by local artist Kelly Poling.