Bolduc House – Ste. Genevieve, Missouri
A National Historic Landmark, the Bolduc House was built about 1785 by Louis Bolduc, this Creole house is something anyone interested in architectural history will want to see.
The construction of the house required the incorporating of timbers from the owner’s earlier home located in the original village of Ste. Genevieve. The structure’s vertical-log walls are mortised into massive sills that rest on a limestone foundation, a sophisticated poteaux-sur-sole construction. Its double pitched hip roof is supported by a series of heavy oak timbers that constitute a Norman truss system. The Bolduc House is regarded as the first most authentically restored Creole house in the nation, earning the respect of architectural historians everywhere. Accurately restored with original 18th century furnishings, living quarters, stockade fence, 18th century French herb gardens and grape arbor, the Bolduc House is unquestionably an architectural treasure. The gift shop features Quimper faience, books, herbs and things French.
Open April through October.
Admission includes house and garden tours.
Location: 125 S. Main