Bollinger Mill & Covered Bridge – Cape Girardeau, Missouri
This 19th century gristmill processed grain for area farmers until the mid-1940’s. Guided tours of the four-story mill feature a demonstration of water-powered cornmeal grinding on the original burrstones.
Today’s mill is the third one built on this site. George Frederick Bollinger, who came to this area in 1797 from North Carolina, built the first two. He received a 640-acre land grant from Louis Lorimier, the Commandant at Cape Girardeau. In return for the land, Bollinger agreed to develop the land and to bring more settlers in from the East. He returned to North Carolina in 1800 and brought 20 families, including six of his brothers and their families, back to settle along the banks of the Whitewater River.
Burfordville Covered Bridge, built by Joseph Lansmon, was started in 1858. This is the oldest covered bridge remaining in Missouri.
Location: Cape Grardeau